Jasmine’s Perspective Project

Have you ever thought about how social media can ruin your life instead of making it better?. The question we will be researching is,Is Social Media Harmful Or Helpful To Our Environment?. What I think about Social Media is Social Media can risk your life or if you have a child it can risk your child’s life. One reason I think this is because Social Media is the main cause of cyberbullying which mostly leads to teen suicides. Another reason is Social Media can cause addiction. And my last reason is Sharing too much information can cause stalkers and obsessed people.    

Cyberbullying can cause low self-esteem on mostly teens. Some evidence to support my reason is stated from one of my friends that go to School For Global Leaders, Julianna states “Cyberbullying can highly affect a person’s self-esteem”. Another classmate of mine, Rene states “More people means more cyberbullies which means a higher chance of people and bullies. I agree because low self-esteem is a main cause of depression which leads to suicidal teens.

Social Media can cause addiction. Some of my other friends that go to School for Global Leaders, Julianna and Rene they have stated “ You can get addicted stressed and desperate for likes,friends and followers”. Rene has stated “ When you get attached to Social Media you follow other people and change your personality”. I believe people start to get desperate for likes as we said and stressed if they don’t have the amount they want.

Sharing too much information can cause stalkers and obsessive people. One piece of evidence comes from the website ‘StopBullying.Gov’ they state the most common cyberbullying websites where bullies mostly occur is “Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, SMS, and Instant message”. Another piece of evidence comes from a fellow peer Rene states “When you share too much information, you’re basically exposing yourself publicly, and people can always find out private information and use it against you and to their advantage”. I agree people may use the information they have of yours and can threaten and or blackmail you to do very horrendous things.

Now many people think “oh social media isn’t that bad, what are the chances that I might get bullied and besides who cares anyway to pay attention to me!?” I admit I’m one of these people who states this. But for real many people believe on social media you can make long lasting friendships. My thoughts are way stronger than why is social media good  because social media is more harmful than helpful because if you think about it “long lasting friends?” more like long unofficial friends because they may seem like your friend but they can backstab you anytime. My fellow coworker Rene once again stated “Its true because you don’t know how they operate in real life so they can turn out to be fake friends and put on a show to make it seem as though they actually like you and backstab you whenever they want with the information they gathered about you”. I totally agree with him because people really can trick you and become your ‘friend’ and hurt you for a lifetime. More evidence Rene said “Meeting more people on social media is like meeting 50% of someone because your not actually meeting someone being their true self because you don’t know if they are acting.

Maybe to help your child or even to save your or someone else’s life you should limit your’s and their time online that way no one gets hurt. PLEASE TO HELP MAKE MATTERS BETTER SPREAD THE WORD AROUND!!!.

2 Comments